MAHEC is currently seeking a Family Physician or Internal Medicine Physician to fill the role of Givens Estates Retirement Community Medical Director. The Medical Director for Givens Estates will work in collaborative partnership with the Department Chair, Administrative Director, and Givens Estates Administration in activities related to the delivery of medical care for Givens Estates. This role will maintain clinical work in the Outpatient setting, Assisted Living, and Skilled Nursing Facility. This role may also include clinical work at our Biltmore MAHEC campus.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, delineate the responsibilities of attending physicians, and provide advice and recommendations regarding adherence to state/federal laws and other guidelines for GIVENS, including the Givens Estates Health Center, Wood Assisted Living Center and Home Care Program.
- Coordinate the medical care at GIVENS, which includes acting as liaison with attending physicians.
- Consult with GIVENS administrative and appropriate professional staff in matters regarding the maintaining of medical records.
- Advise the GIVENS administration on matters concerning resident/patient care services for the total community.
- Participate in periodic in-service programs at the request of the community, not to exceed one per quarter.
- Provide an average of 14-16 hours per month to GIVENS in the capacity of Medical Director.
- Provide input to GIVENS as requested by administration on the hiring or selection of administrative level individuals or service organizations which provide professional services to the residents/patients at Givens Estates Health Center, Wood Assisted Living Center and Home Care Program.
- Participate in staff meetings, which include meetings such as Case Management, Ethics Committee, Resident and Health Services Board Committee, and other meetings as may be deemed necessary from time to time.
- Participate in monthly Givens Estates Health Center Utilization Review and Quality Improvement meetings.
- Review written reports of surveys and inspections related to health care and make recommendations to GIVENS Administration.
Effectively and respectably communicate with other individuals, whether it be a colleague, patient, or patient’s family member and appropriately enumerate information in a manner easily understood by all parties. We do this to foster a culture of understanding between all parties, especially in complex and difficult situations, to ultimately provide the best care possible to our patients and their families.
Ability to make the most appropriate decision in a given situation and then taking the next steps to ensure appropriate and timely completion. This requires conflict resolution skills, critical thinking skills, confidence in your ability to make the right decision in most situations. This also includes ability to prioritize your workday appropriately to ensure the most important tasks are completed on time.
Having the drive to keep yourself abreast and up to date on the new breakthroughs in your area of expertise and communicating them to the rest of the team, as appropriate. This also includes keeping up with your licensure and yearly training requirements within your area expertise along with MAHEC’s organizational training. Finally, the ability to apply the depth of knowledge maintained and gained through this process in real life scenarios as appropriate.
Showing the ability to meet difficult situations with grace, professionalism, and understanding. Within your area of expertise, showing respect and showing empathy where appropriate with your colleagues, patients, and their family at all times, even when its most difficult to do so. This is done, in part, by effective listening, being your authentic self, showing responsibility and dependability, and being patient with others.
Adherence to MAHEC’s founding principles and incorporating them every day. This includes, among others, having integrity and accountability, reverence for other cultures and equitable practices, ability to manage change, and displaying a clear understanding of organizational dynamics. Doing these things creates a culture where people want to do the best for each other and gives personal ownership towards the goal of helping people in their time of need.
Having an analytical mind and ability to work autonomously to solve complex problems that may arise. The wherewithal to think logically through a difficult problem and come to an appropriate resolution for a given issue. This helps to drive continuous improvement by thinking through where we can improve in a novel way. Measures success by understanding where we are currently and where we want to go and then applying those new ideas to affect positive change.
- Experience using Electronic Medical Records.
- Spanish language speaking skills preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a Family Medicine or Internal Medicine Residency Program.
- Minimum of three (3) years of combined clinical, educational and administrative abilities and experience. Experience may include Residency or Geriatrics Fellowship programs.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Licensure to practice medicine in North Carolina.
- Certification by the American Board of Family Physicians or Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Appointment in good standing to the medical staff of Mission Health System.
Regular attendance on-site is an essential function of this position. Typical business hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (or flexed to best meet the needs of the clients and/or the Division); 40 hours per workweek; weekend, holiday, or evening coverage is occasionally required. Work hours will need to be flexible in order to respond to special work assignments, or evening activities, as requested by the team leader.
At MAHEC, we strive to equip all team members with Total Rewards (pay + benefits) to honor their service, support their health, manage their financial security, build their career, and thrive. MAHEC is a certified Living Wage employer through Just Economics of Western North Carolina.
All MAHEC employees and learners will be required to receive the COVID-19 & Flu vaccines or have an approved exemption.
MAHEC Talent Management is located at 121 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803. Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous, People of Color and Spanish/English bilingual persons are strongly encouraged to apply. With this in mind, studies show that women, gender diverse, and BIPOC candidates are less likely to apply unless they meet all of the qualifications listed in the job description.
If you are interested in this role, and you have related experience and qualifications, we encourage you to apply or reach out to AskTalent@mahec.net for support in your job search process. You could be the talent we are seeking for this or other opportunities.